Currently, Jenkintown Borough has adopted the 2009 International Building Codes and the 2012 International Property Maintenance Code. These codes may be accessed at Borough Hall, Jenkintown Library, and online here.
Pennoni Associates | Building Inspections & Code Enforcement | 215.885.0700 | Tuesdays & Thursdays (8:00 AM – 4:00 PM) | To schedule inspections, please contact Shelby Smith 24 hours in advance.
George Locke | Zoning Officer | 215.885.0700 ext. 202 | Monday to Friday (9:00 AM to 5:00 PM), except Wednesday (10:00 AM to 7:00 PM)
Shelby Smith | Administrative Assistant | 215.885.0700 ext. 201 | Monday to Friday (8:00 AM – 4:00 PM)
Borough of Jenkintown Official Code (opens a new window).
Permits Permit must be applied for and received prior to beginning any work, whether residential, commercial or institutional.
Building Permit Building Permit Applications may be obtained at Jenkintown Borough Hall or here. Two sets of plans must be submitted with the application. Construction or renovation plans may require sealed plans.
- Permits are required when relocating, re-configuring or adding fixtures supply, drainage or venting (riser diagrams required with permit application)
- Only Master Licensed Plumbers May Apply for a Plumbing Permit.
- A current Master Plumbing License must be in possession when making application.
- Replacement, additions or alterations require a permit.
- Specifications and/or cut sheets are required for unit installation.
- Units to be installed on the exterior require decibel levels and drawings of location of unit on property. All outside units must be contained within property setbacks.
- The electrical permit application process has changed. Jenkintown Borough is joining the surrounding communities in allowing the Electrical Permit Applicant to choose his or her own Licensed Third Party Inspection Agency.
- The adopted policy is available at the Jenkintown Borough Hall. If you have any questions or we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.
- Three sets of plans must be submitted with the application for fire alarm system work.
- Three sets of plans with an FPE seal of NICET seal must be submitted with the application for sprinkler work.
- All stand pipe connections shall be 2½” NST male and all fire department connections shall be 3″ NST female.
- Zoning Permit Applications for any type of signage installation may be obtained at Jenkintown Borough Hall or here .
- Two sets of drawings for the proposed signage must be submitted with the application.
- Total signage presently proposed must be on print as well as all other signage on the building.
- A building permit may be required depending on the type of installation. If required, this will be noted on the approved Zoning Permit.
- Highway Permit Application for sidewalk, curbing, and street repairs may be obtained at Jenkintown Borough Hall.
A sketch must be submitted showing the exact location and dimensions as well as a plan of profile for all work.
Permit Processing/Release: All Residential Permits will be granted or denied, in whole or in part, within 15 business days of the filing date. All commercial permits will be granted or denied, in whole or in part, within 30 business days of the filing date. All Construction Permits will be reviewed by the Borough Planner Reviewer in accordance with the 2009 International Code. All Construction Permits involving zoning will be reviewed by the Borough Zoning Officer in accordance with the Zoning Code of the Codes of Jenkintown Borough. All Sign Permits will be reviewed by the Borough Zoning Officer in accordance with the Signage Code of the Codes of Jenkintown Borough.
Fee Schedule: We reserve the right to request a copy of the contract in order to ensure that the permit fees are correct. All permit fees are based on the cost of the work as follows:
2017 Fee Schedule
BUILDING AND ZONING PERMIT APPLICATION FEES
ZONING AND USE APPLICATION : $50.00
USE AND OCCUPANCY CERTIFICATE : $50.00
– Includes two (2) inspections
USE AND OCCUPANCY RE-INSPECTION : $25.00
– Per additional re-inspection, must be paid prior to re-inspection
COMMERCIAL ZONING APPLICATION : $50.00
– Replacement or new construction of exterior structures including but not limited to signs, fences, porches, patios
RESIDENTIAL ZONING APPLICATION : $35.00
– Replacement or new construction of exterior structures including but not limited to sheds, patios, porches, fences, decks
ZONING HEARING BOARD APPLICATIONS (Commercial) : $1,500.00
ZONING HEARING BOARD APPLICATIONS (Residential) : $1,000.00
CONDITIONAL USE APPLICATIONS : $400.00
MINOR SUBDIVISION/LAND DEVELOPMENT APPLICATIONS : $400.00
(Professional services billed directly to applicant. E.g. including but not limited to Solicitor, Engineer etc.)
MAJOR SUBDIVISION/LAND DEVELOPMENT APPLICATIONS : $1,000.00
(Professional services billed directly to applicant, e.g. including but not limited to Solicitor, Engineer etc.)
BUILDING/PLUMBING/HVAC/FIRE PERMIT APPLICATIONS *
COMMERCIAL PERMIT APPLICATIONS : $100.00 (1st$1,000.00)
– Per each additional $1000.00 or fraction thereof : $25.00
– Fee includes code review, processing & 2 re-inspections
RESIDENTIAL PERMIT APPLICATIONS : $40.00 (1st $1,000.00)
-Per each additional $1000.00 or fraction thereof : .$20.00
-Fee includes code review, processing & 2 re-inspections.
COMMERCIAL RE-INSPECTION FEE : $50.00
RESIDENTIAL RE-INSPECTION FEE : $25.00
ELECTRICAL PERMIT APPLICATIONS *
COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS : $50.00 (flat rate)
– Includes permit review, processing
RESIDENTIAL APPLICATIONS : $25.00 (flat rate)
– Includes permit review, processing
*Please note there is an additional $4 State fee that will be added to construction permits
SIDEWALK, CURB, AND HIGHWAY APPLICATIONS
SIDEWALK AND CURB PERMIT APPLICATIONS : $50.00 (1st $1,000.00)
- Per each additional $1,000.00 or fraction thereof : $20.00
HIGHWAY ROAD OPENING PERMIT APPLICATIONS : $100.00 (1st 20 SQ FT)
-Per each additional 10 SQ FT or fraction thereof : $10.00
PLAN REVIEWS ON PROJECTS WITH MORE THAN ONE PLAN SHEET
COMMERCIAL (Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, Energy, HVAC) : $100.00 (per project)
COMMERCIAL FIRE SPRINKLER : $100.00
COMMERCIAL FIRE ALARM : $100.00
RESIDENTIAL (Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, Energy, HVAC) : $50.00 (per project)
CODE BOOK PURCHASES
ZONING CODE BOOK : $25.00
SIGN CODE BOOK : $15.00
SUBDIVISION AND LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE BOOK : $15.00
APPEAL APPLICATION FEES
PROPERTY MAINTENANCE BOARD OF APPEALS : $100.00
U.C.C. BOARD OF APPEALS : $1,000.00
APPEAL OF ZONING OFFICERS DECISION TO ZONING HEARING BOARD : $1,000.00
ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES FEES
TRASH CERTIFICATION REQUEST : $10.00
SEWER CERTIFICATION REQUEST : $10.00
LAWN AND LEAF BAGS (bundle of 5) : $2.00
RENTAL REGISTRATION : $25.00
SOLID WASTE BILL (per unit/per quarter) : $43.00
RETURN CHECK CHARGE : $25.00
RIGHT-TO-KNOW REQUEST COPYING FEES
- ` 8.5” x 11” : $0.25 per page
11” x 17” : $0.50 per page
– PLAN COPIES : Cost of Duplication
– CERTIFIED RECORDS : $5.00 per certified record
COMMERCIAL ANNUAL FIRE SAFETY PERMIT : $50.00
SEWER CONNECTION FEE (per EDU) : $1,550.00
DEP/EDU RESEARCH AND APPLICATION FILING ASSISTANCE : $150.00
STORM WATER MANAGEMENT PLAN REVIEW : $200.00
STORM WATER MANAGEMENT PROJECT ESCROW : $1,000.00
R.O.W. TREE REMOVAL, PRUNING AND PLANTING : $25.00
AMUSEMENT DEVICE LICENSE : $25.00
Inspections: All requests for inspections are scheduled through Borough Hall by calling (215) 885-0700. All inspections are done by the Jenkintown Borough Code Inspectors. When requesting an inspection you must provide 24 hours notice, the job location and the permit number. No inspections will be scheduled without the correct permit number. It is the applicants responsibility to arrange electrical inspections with the 3rd party of their choice.
Registration: Contractors are not required to register. Permits, however, cannot be submitted without proof of insurance and cannot be released until an original Certificate of Insurance has been received and processed. A valid Certificate of Insurance must carry General Liability and Workman’s Compensation Insurance. Contractors without employees must obtain a Workman’s Compensation Affidavit from Borough Hall, which must be signed, notarized, and returned to Borough Hall. A copy of a Master’s License is required for all plumbing permits.